But what about the less religious aspect of having the Holy Ghost as a companion?
I've been told through my life that as we live righteously we invite the Spirit to be our constant companion but that was never a concept I understood until a few years ago. I understood the idea of feeling the Spirit while I was at church or praying or reading scriptures, but how could I feel the Spirit when I was playing games with my friends or sitting through a lecture at school? That simply did not make sense to me.
I learned how to have the Spirit's constant companionship while I was a counselor at Especially For Youth. I spent five days a week constantly teaching teenagers about the gospel and other life values or being taught myself whether by an instructor or one of my own kids.
This structure in my life provided an environment in which is was very easy to feel the Spirit. All I had to do was be aware that it was there.
During the summer I came to realize that I needed that companionship. I simply could not survive without it. You find very quickly that as an EFY counselor you're constantly exhausted but your job requires you to be full of energy. You run out of patience but it's only the first night and you still have four more days left. Your child is having an emotional break down and you have to know the right words to say.
I couldn't do all of those things on my own. No matter how much I gave it my all, I just could not do it.
That's where the companionship of the Holy Ghost comes in. You see, not only does the Holy Ghost give you spiritual revelation and assurance on religious matters, but He serves as many other things.
When I could not stay awake through a class, I could pray and ask for a blessing to stay awake. And somehow, I made it. Somehow I got up each morning and was able to conquer another day.
When I discovered one of my kids with a handful of mental difficulties wandering down the hall in the middle of the night after lights out I was able to smile and patiently take her back to her room.
When one of my girls hit a personal low in self esteem and was crying in her bedroom, I knew what to do and say.
That's not me. Anyone who knows me well will tell you that when I'm tired, I forego all responsibilities and go to sleep. When my patience is tried, I will walk away because I can't handle the situation. When someone is hurting, I'm a lot more likely to bring you some ice cream than I am to offer words of comfort because I simply don't know what to say.
So to me, that's what it means to have the Holy Ghost as a companion. It is something in my life that when I fall short, I have a divine influence who teaches me all that I need to know.
Some other ways to discern when you have the Spirit is if:
-You feel happy and calm.
-You feel full of light. Your mind is clear.
-You feel warm inside.
-You feel generous.
-Nobody could offend you.
-You feel confident in what you do.
-You wouldn't mind everybody seeing what you're doing.
-You feel outgoing, anxious to be with people.
-You are glad when others succeed.
-You want to make others happy. You bring out the best and say the best of others.
-You gladly and willingly perform church service. You magnify your callings.
-You feel like praying.
-The commandments are a challenge, not a burden.
-You feel in control of your appetites and emotions: food and sleep in moderation, sexual restraint, diversion that is wholesome, calm and controlled speech, no anger..
-You're glad to be alive.
Here are some words associated with the Holy Ghost:
revelator, comforter, reprove, guide, power, gift, testify, teach, sanctify, reveal, fills with hope and love, enlighten, peace, communicate, discern, enable, assist, edify
Lots of the time we don't even realize that we are being filled with all of these wonderful things. I was once told that,
"The Spirit is like air. It is always surrounding us and we're breathing it in but when it is gone it is an uncomfortable gasping for air."
The companionship of the Holy Ghost is not just for church meetings.
It is not just for weeks at EFY.
God has given us the GIFT of the Holy Ghost to be our constant companion in every minute of every day. Let Him teach you. Let Him comfort you. Receive that divine power.
I am grateful for the understanding that I have of the Holy Ghost and His role in my life. I am blessed daily to receive divine love and knowledge and it has changed me for the better in ways I didn't even realize were possible.
Let the Holy Spirit guide.
Let Him teach us what is true.
He will testify of Christ.
Light our minds with heaven's view.
Let the Holy Spirit guide.
Let Him teach us what is true.
He will testify of Christ.
Light our minds with heaven's view.


No comments:
Post a Comment