About a year ago everyone's Facebook walls were spammed with article titles proclaiming bold, catchy topics. I fell especially in love with an article titled How to Get Flat Abs, Have Amazing Sex and Rule the World in 8 Easy Steps and highly recommend reading it for your own personal, refreshing slap of motivation.
(READ THE ARTICLE BEFORE YOU READ THIS BLOG POST!)
I'll be re-listing the 8 main points outlined in the article, adding my own thoughts and words of wisdom.
#1: Stop believing your B.S.
How often do we define ourselves by the things we lack instead of allowing ourselves to feel empowered by the strength we hold?
One of my favorite book/movie characters is Minny from The Help. She's one of the most ballsy characters I've come across, yet each night she comes home to an abusive husband. At one point in the story she asks why he beats her and gets this reply:
"If I didn't hit you, Minny, who knows what you'd become." Leroy
We're constantly beating ourselves down with B.S. we feed ourselves that we're not rich enough or brave enough to try something we've had on our bucket list for years. And that B.S. keeps us "safe" in a familiar, comfortable lifestyle we've already deemed acceptable. It also keeps us from letting our true selves grow into anything more.
“Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be? You are a child of God..." ~Marianne Williamson
In the words of one of my heroes, Dieter Uchtdorf, "...rise up and become the person you were designed to be."
Excuse me, have I checked off enough things in my life that I have permission to be happy?
Am I pretty enough, rich enough, have worked hard enough that I'm allowed to smile?
Who has claim over my emotions? I do. No one else can or has the right to make that decision.
You're not happy? Stop it!
Why make your day blazé or miserable when you have the option to be happy instead?
Its your choice.
"Those who stand at the threshold of life always waiting for the right time to change are like the man who stands at the bank of a river waiting for the water to pass so he can cross on dry land." ~Joseph B. Wirthlin,
Ain't nobody got time for that.
(picture by: Marc L. photography)
What better way to take time to stop, step back, and appreciate the bigger picture than star gazing?
Living in a world constantly slammed with busyness, its important to remember that what might be consuming your life really isn't such a huge fiasco after all.
#4: Let people in.
We've all been hurt. We all have emotional baggage.
Our society as a whole has trust and commitment issues.
Yes, its easier to be all on your own.
Easier. Safer. More predictable.
But the deeper, more meaningful, most beautiful parts of your life come when you step outside of the safe world you'd often like to hide in.
Letting people in to your life, being vulnerable, that's what makes you feel alive.
Why would you ever make something more complicated than it needs to be?
Don't you have enough crazy in your life?
To avoid this follow the Four Agreements:
1- Be impeccable with your word.
2- Don't take anything personally.
3-Don't make assumptions.
4- Always do your best.
We're taught to apologize at a young age. I know that as a child, if I did something wrong toward another person I was required to tell them "I'm sorry" and hug them. Why then is it so difficult as adults to do the same thing? Pride. We're so caught up in our own greatness that to admit we aren't perfect can be a very difficult thing. However, its on our list to true happiness.
There's a few different ways we can apologize.
1- Expressing regret
2- Accepting Responsibility
3- Making Restitution
4- Genuinely Repenting
5- Requesting Forgiveness
Sometimes you just have to get some cojones and go for it.
Speaking of humbling ourselves, how about gratitude to get us in the right mind set?
Gratitude shifts our attention from dwelling on the negatives and past to seeing the good and looking to the future. It is an enabling force that promotes service, compassion, and patience, along with many others things bringing joy into life.
#8: Be kind.
Kind (adj.): showing sympathy or understanding; charitable.
Kindness is something that may seem one-directional but is actually a cycle that enhances our lives more and more. And not only our lives-- but an infinite amount of others' lives too. The decision to be kind not only lifts our own spirits but the world around us.
Stop looking for easy, temporary thrills.
Do the works and change your life.
Forever.









No comments:
Post a Comment