About Me

My photo
I believe in dedicating my life to the things I truly love. This is my way of sharing that love with you.

Friday, February 3, 2012

Grrrrrrl POWER

Over the decades various women empowerment movements have taken place--
one of the latest being "Girl Power" which especially shined through the late 90's and early 2000's.

Girl Power:
"Power exercised by girls; spec. a self-reliant attitude among girls and young women manifested in ambition, assertiveness, and individualism."

Thank you Wikipedia.

Girl power.. personal strength to be brilliant. 
But is it?

The first image that pops into my mind when I think of a woman with "Girl Power" is a female lawyer who has just won a case.

But.. she's a hott lawyer. 
You see.. a woman who is intelligent and confidant and assertive is also, in my mind, sexy.
Who pictures a boring, ugly or average woman?
No one.

So you see, there's this sexiness that has been tied into the idea of Girl Power.
And it has become extreme to the point that it has taken over.

Compare these two girls. The first is what I tend to imagine as a proper image for Girl Power-- a girl who is comfortable with her body and image and is educated.
The second is what I have become aware of Girl Power to be-- this sex image of confidence.
K so where are all these thoughts coming from? 
They're actually from a video I watched for my Women and Sexuality class called Sexy Inc.- Our Children Under the Influence

A main point in the video was that:
Society has been "pornified."
You see, "[Girls] are absolutely overwhelmed by a desire to be seductive"
The thing is.. it's not about the sex! Let's be honest.. girls don't have to (or usually want to) beg for sex.
It's all about this image you create by being and looking sexy.
There is a power gained by being sexy.. untouchable.. dangerous.

But really, "What all these girls want is to be respected, to be happy, to be loved. But they don't know how. They say, "But Miss, everyone treats us like that!"

"Relationships have become super sexual because no one has been taught to do anything else." The world of quaint courtships in musicals is rapidly disappearing-- even simple relationship steps like talking on phone or holding hands is losing interest. 
Relationships start off sexual and it only gets more intense from there.
 "They have no reference points. Everything is blurred."

"We're telling girls that being sexy is the only power you have."

I have a memory of my 8th grade male English teacher telling our class that girls can be 
"either beautiful or smart"
not both.

I don't even know if it is a real memory but its something that comes to mind fairly often that I've spent quite a bit of time pondering over. 
And in a way, I agree with him.
A girl can either be focused on being sexy or she can be focused on being smart. 
They're not two things that are naturally formed together.

"The real damage to girls is that they're over investing in image rather than their real interests and developing unique identities"

This sexualization is being spread to all ages. Young and old. Yes, there seems to be a point in almost every girl's life that she leans more towards a sexy appearance and nature in order to receive attention and feel power, but there's just a point when too young is simply TOO YOUNG.
Welcome to Toddlers and Tiaras.
"I am absolutely appalled to see that we are stealing childhood away from children, by pushing them to become miniature adults by dressing them like adults and making them experience emotions that at that age they're simply not capable of dealing with"

Here's a perfect example of Girl Power in its pornified form: Pussycat Dolls. They're hott. They have sexual power whether it is for the purpose of feeling attractive or to feel empowered over men or to get attention.... 
Britney Spears.. Everyone's favorite example for horrible. Well.. check out some of the lyrics for her song Slave 4 U:
What's practical is logical. What the hell, who cares?
All I know is I'm so happy when you're dancing there.

I'm a slave for you. I cannot hold it, I cannot control it.
I'm a slave for you. I won't deny it, I'm not trying to hide it.

Baby, don't you want to, dance upon me,
(I just want to dance next to you)
To another time and place.
Baby, don't you want to, dance upon me,
(Are you ready)
Leaving behind my name, my age.
(Lets go)

(Like that)
(You like it)
(Now watch me)

Get it get it, get it get it (Whoa)
Get it get it, get it get it (Whoa)
Get it get it, get it get it (Oh)

Or even Avril Lavigne- the image of a rebel with her hits Sk8r Boi and Complicated who took upon her this sexualized blonde image and now she's become what she despised


You’re so fine
I want you mine
You’re so delicious
I think about you all the time
You’re so addictive
Don’t you know what I could do to make you feel alright (alright, alright, alright)?



I can see the way, I see the way you look at me
And even when you look away I know you think of me
I know you talk about me all the time again and again (again, again, again)
So come over here, tell me what I want to hear



In a second you’ll be wrapped around my finger
'cause I can, 'cause I can do it better



There is this blaring statement that in order for a girl to be noticed.. to be respected.. to be attractive.. they have to be sexy whether that is something that a girl truly wants to be or not.

It's disgusting.. this demand for sex. It's not just something seen in toddlers or teenagers either.. 
I have friends who even now well into their mid 20's are begging for a way out of this demanding social expectation. 

But hey, it's true.. how easy is it to go change into a short skirt and stilettos and suddenly have the world at your fingertips?

And the thing is, it works.

Not in the long run, but in a society so completely based on instant satisfaction and demand... 
It works just fine.

3 comments:

  1. So....not that I completely disagree with this post or anything....but how does a girl reading a book personify girl power in your mind? And also. When you started talking about the Pussycat Dolls near the picture of Britney Spears, I thought you were trying to tell us that that picture was the Pussycat Dolls and I was like Manda. NO. Just no. I know you are bad with famous people, but this is a disgrace! But then you fixed it. Good job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's not just that she it reading a book.. It's that she appears very down to earth.. very comfortable with her natural image.. she's reading a book- not a pink magazine.. To me all of that says that she personified the things listed in the first picture.

    Oh.. and I fixed the Pussycat Dolls picture. 'Paretly it decided to simply disappear on me. On the odd chance that I couldn't actually recognize them, I would make sure I wasn't stupid enough to label them incorrectly on a public post. That's why Google and I are friends :)

    ReplyDelete