I've been thinking a lot this past week about why I spend time with certain people.
Here's a few reasons that I've come up with after considering a few of my friendships:
*I enjoy comparing our views of the world.
With a couple of my friends, we spend a lot of time comparing several different perspectives from different backgrounds.. We've lived our lives in such completely different ways that each of us has something new and interesting to share with the other. This ranges from religious ideas to relationship advice to nerdy science topics. I love spending time with them because I enjoy learning perspectives other than my own.
*I like the person I am with them.
I'm one of those people that has a slightly different personality depending on who I'm with.
With some people I'm more outgoing and social or more willing to try something out of my comfort zone. With others I am more likely to throw out sassy comments or become a little more snobby.
With one of my friends especially, I like the person I am. I'm kind and funny and happy and aware of a lot more than my own happiness.
*I connect with them on a deeply personal level.
There are the friends you have a good relationship with but there are the few who you're able to have serious deep and personal conversations with. I like having someone in my life who I know understands my thoughts and I can trust to give me honest and valid feedback.
*They tell me if I'm a fat cow
Most of the time I enjoy going shopping on my own but every once in a while I enjoy taking someone with me who is familiar with my financial habits and will tell me if an item of clothing looks good on me or not. It's nice to have a second opinion on how a color looks on you or a judgment call on whether something's worth the price.
*I can be superficial.
Sometimes its nice to jump back to my high school self. It's nice to talk like a teenager and be entirely carefree and irresponsible. I like having that option with friends every once in a while.
*I feel loved.
There are those friends out there that give you a hug and your whole world is suddenly better. The ones who you know genuinely care about you no matter how ridiculous you are. I like being able to turn to them for that affirmation.
I love spending time with different people for different reasons.
They fulfill different aspects of my life.
It's interesting to see why each person is important enough to warrant my attention.
With some people I'm more outgoing and social or more willing to try something out of my comfort zone. With others I am more likely to throw out sassy comments or become a little more snobby.
With one of my friends especially, I like the person I am. I'm kind and funny and happy and aware of a lot more than my own happiness.
*I connect with them on a deeply personal level.
There are the friends you have a good relationship with but there are the few who you're able to have serious deep and personal conversations with. I like having someone in my life who I know understands my thoughts and I can trust to give me honest and valid feedback.
*They tell me if I'm a fat cow
Most of the time I enjoy going shopping on my own but every once in a while I enjoy taking someone with me who is familiar with my financial habits and will tell me if an item of clothing looks good on me or not. It's nice to have a second opinion on how a color looks on you or a judgment call on whether something's worth the price.
*I can be superficial.
Sometimes its nice to jump back to my high school self. It's nice to talk like a teenager and be entirely carefree and irresponsible. I like having that option with friends every once in a while.
*I feel loved.
There are those friends out there that give you a hug and your whole world is suddenly better. The ones who you know genuinely care about you no matter how ridiculous you are. I like being able to turn to them for that affirmation.
I love spending time with different people for different reasons.
They fulfill different aspects of my life.
It's interesting to see why each person is important enough to warrant my attention.


No comments:
Post a Comment