About Me

My photo
I believe in dedicating my life to the things I truly love. This is my way of sharing that love with you.

Monday, May 21, 2012

HIMYM Debate


Today as I was wasting my life away watching How I Met Your Mother I came across an episode debating whether or not it is okay to keep items from your past relationships.

Ted's apartment was filled with things from past relationships-- a lamp, a pillow, a mini phone booth...
Robin's five dogs were all evidence of past relationships..

At what point is it reasonable to say yes, you need to get rid of something from a past relationship?

Should you keep nothing from past relationships?
Should you only keep items if they are expensive or have use?
It is okay to keep letters or emails or a card?

Let's say it is not personal anymore.. it's just an item. Then is it okay?
What if it is a $300 sleeping bag or a nice bed set or tickets to a concert or your favorite pair of shoes?
They're just items, right? So you shouldn't have to get rid of them..

But a partner in a new relationship may see these items as evidence of attachment.. it may create jealousy or make them feel like they're not as important..

At that point is it rational to get rid of all those things from past relationships?

Give me your opinion.

Please :)

1 comment:

  1. Here's my practical approach:

    If you are emotionally attached to it because of the relationship, get rid of it. There is no reason to keep it. It will just remind you of what you do not have.

    If you don't use it, despite what it is or what it cost, get rid of it.

    If there is no emotional baggage, you use it, and it isn't clearly something 'special' from a previous relationship, then keep it.

    ReplyDelete