About Me

My photo
I believe in dedicating my life to the things I truly love. This is my way of sharing that love with you.

Wednesday, April 22, 2009

'Til Death Do Us Part?!




Yesterday in my Human Event class the topic of transhumanism was discussed and my teacher posed the question that if we had the option, would we choose to double our life span? Without getting into any detail I'll move on to what puzzled me the most. My teacher pointed out that doubling our life span would double the time that we were married to the same person which would end up most likely being a period of 100 years of more. The class's response surprised me. A majority of the students groaned at the thought of being married to the same person for over a hundred years. WHY?! Is this world so screwed up that people have lost the meaning of marriage? The whole reason you marry someone is because you want to be with them forever because you love them more than anything else in the entire world. Why then would you not want to be married for 100+ years? Marriage is not a long-term dating relationship that you flirt with for a few years and then move on to someone new. Excuse me people if you have a marriage like that then you sure as heck better get your life straight because I can see major disasters down the road. Whether you believe marriage to last until death or last forever the idea is still that you want to be with this same person for as long as possible. I hope our world can understand that again and someday not groan in a class situation like mine. I worry though that such will not be the case. 

1 comment: