I just finished the first week of my second summer as a counselor for Especially For Youth. This program is a week-long summer camp for teenagers that belong to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints or any others who are interested. The kids & counselors stay in dorm rooms at universities around the world for most sessions or at home for a few. Activities include group game nights, dances, classes, and a priceless amount of fun.
I was really worried about coming back to EFY this summer. Initially when I applied in October I was super stoked but since then I've spent most of my time geologizing which often contradicts with EFY and LDS standards.
I arrived in Flagstaff Sunday afternoon and all I could think of was, "oh. my. gosh... these people are SO Mormon! How the heck am I going to fit in with these people?"
(I probably didn't think "heck" though)
Sunday night I got my co-counselor and he was easily my first pick out of the 20 guys working here this week. *sigh of relief*
Monday morning came around and I finally woke up properly while we were working on the dance for this year. Oh how I missed dancing! It felt so good to get up there and show some moves.
That afternoon I got my kids. As soon as I met them I realized that they are the reason I work for EFY. They are the reason no matter how sleep deprived and cranky and impatient I am, I still keep coming back for more because they make my week perfect.
Here's the list of reasons I have come up with over this past week as to why I LOVE my job:
1. Seeing the kids transform-- These kids often come to us as typical every-day teenagers and leave as a little more mature adults with a strong testimony. That transformation process takes place in less than 5 days. 5 DAYS!! I watch miracles happen every single day as their lives and choices change.
2. I get to be a week-long parent to ~24 teenagers-- I wake them up in the morning, make sure they eat, teach them, love them, play with them, and then tuck them in to bed each night. I am the one who holds them when they cry because a boy broke their heart or a bully made fun of their clothes. I am the one they confide in and who they sneak chocolate candy bars to when they know I've had a rough day. For one week, I get to be their parent (along with the benefits of friend) and I love the relationship that develops because of that.
3. I am the favorite-- If you've been to EFY you can probably agree that you worshipped the ground your counselors walked on. How great is it that by simply being their counselor I am instantly respected, loved, and super duper popular. There's a little more work involved but those things seem to come quite easily. Everyone knows my name. I hear my name being screamed any time I get close to my company spot along with random places along the way by strangers. No matter how stupid I look when I dance, the kids think I'm cool and mimic my moves. Anything I say goes.. no contradictions because after all, I'm their counselor so shouldn't I know everything?
4. Social study time-- What better way to observe the social aspect of an age group than by incorporating yourself into it? I love taking the time to watch the relationships between everyone at EFY. It never fails to amaze me, the way these kids react to each other along with the counselors around them. I love meeting so many new people and learning about them.
5. Spiritual time-- EFY is very much for the purpose of spiritually helping the participants and counselors. I spend the entire week testifying of Christ and the pure joy and goodness He brings into our lives when we allow him to. I love constantly being in a spiritual environment where I feel good all the time. EFY allows me to not only help my kids spiritually but help myself also.
6. Awkward moments-- not a day goes by without some strange occurrence. Today there were multiple. The first was when the kids were writing letters to their future selfs and a noisy group passed. One of my boys yelled, "Hey! Shut up!! We're trying to have a spiritual experience here!!" Then at lunch someone took 1 bite out of their ice cream container and then threw it in a basket with other food headed to the trash. Another boy grabbed the basket and spent the next 2 minutes licking the ice cream out. Then there was the kid who had brought a rock to lunch and had it sitting on the table. I asked the girl next to him if it was a rock and she replied, "Yeah, he carries it around because it looks like a piece of cheese." Or then there was the argument between two boys who are roommates which ended with, "well, you're a failed science experiment." These sound pretty stupid writing them down now but in the moment I couldn't stop laughing.
There are a lot of other reasons that I love working at EFY but these are the main ones that come to mind.
I have a long summer ahead of me but I'm super psyched for all the adventures ahead.
6. Awkward moments-- not a day goes by without some strange occurrence. Today there were multiple. The first was when the kids were writing letters to their future selfs and a noisy group passed. One of my boys yelled, "Hey! Shut up!! We're trying to have a spiritual experience here!!" Then at lunch someone took 1 bite out of their ice cream container and then threw it in a basket with other food headed to the trash. Another boy grabbed the basket and spent the next 2 minutes licking the ice cream out. Then there was the kid who had brought a rock to lunch and had it sitting on the table. I asked the girl next to him if it was a rock and she replied, "Yeah, he carries it around because it looks like a piece of cheese." Or then there was the argument between two boys who are roommates which ended with, "well, you're a failed science experiment." These sound pretty stupid writing them down now but in the moment I couldn't stop laughing.
There are a lot of other reasons that I love working at EFY but these are the main ones that come to mind.
I have a long summer ahead of me but I'm super psyched for all the adventures ahead.

No comments:
Post a Comment