"The last few years didn't seem to matter much.
What were you waiting for?
The right partner."
~Captain America
I fell in love with this line when I saw Captain America in theaters. It also makes me hate the ending of the movie so much more.
I love the way it captures the idea of a simple love.
-------------------------------------------------
I started this post over a year ago and what is written above is as far as I've ever gotten with it. I've probably looked at it 50 times, trying to decide where I wanted to go with it, looking for some inspirational thought, always coming up blank.
Now I know.
As I was swinging back and forth on a barstool Saturday night, roommates all gone, silent except for old-fashioned love songs by Frank Sinatra and The Carpenters, surrounded by candles, eating Nerds and burning my mouth on delicious hot chocolate, editing pictures and dancing around the kitchen.. I was text messaging a friend who offered someone she knows for a NCMO. After I messaged back that I was done with NCMOs for a while, the message of Captain America's words made so much more sense.
It occurred to me that my reply was the first time that I was entirely content. I wasn't looking for a NCMO or clinging on to the past or worried about the future. Like Captain America, I discovered that I was finally at peace. Much has happened in the past few years. Good things and bad things but looking back now, they "don't seem to matter much." They were important at the time but something has clicked and I'm entirely content to wait for "the right partner."
And isn't that how it should be? You have so much drama but hopefully some day you will reach that point when none of it matters anymore and you know exactly what you want and are ready waiting for it.
And unlike the stupid ending of Captain America, you actually get the girl.


Amanda, I hope you get the girl.
ReplyDelete