About Me

My photo
I believe in dedicating my life to the things I truly love. This is my way of sharing that love with you.

Monday, November 5, 2012

Ted Mosby's Recovery

One of my goals this summer was to finish watching all the episodes of How I Met Your Mother on Netflix. 
I succeeded. 

For each show I like on TV I have a different interest or purpose in watching it. 
I enjoy Big Bang Theory for its nerdy jokes.
I enjoy Once Upon a Time for its semi-organized complexity.
For How I Met Your Mother-- I enjoy the relationship lessons. I'm fascinated learning how each character develops and handles the hundreds of relationship scenarios that are presented each season. 

Most of all-- I'm fascinated learning how Ted Mosby handles his relationships. The show has done a good job in creating a group of characters that are relatable to each viewer's life. The character I see myself in is Ted Mosby. He's a genuinely good guy who is looking for the right girl and just can't catch a break. He's educated, successful, attractive, sincere, full of not-always-so-witty jokes, and is always the one there to get your back. 

In the show Ted meets a woman named Stella and falls in love with her. They get engaged and she ends up leaving him at the alter because she's still in love with her ex-husband. Though the episodes as Ted heals from this, I copied down lines he said that I found of particular interest and piecing them together now, I think they make a pretty educative story. 

Quote #1: When Ted goes to angrily confront Stella and her husband, but decides not to---
"Kids, you may think your only choices are to swallow your anger or throw it in someone's face, but there's a third option-- you can just let it go. And only when you do that is it really gone and you can move forward. And that kids, was the perfect ending to a perfect love story. It just wasn't mine. Mine was still out there, waiting for me."

Quote #2: Ted talking to students in his architecture class.
Ted: "What does being ready even mean? I thought I was ready last year and I ended up getting left at the alter. I'll be honest guys, I'm a little scared."
Lewis: "We're all scared Professor Mosby."
Betty: "Doesn't being scared let you know you're on to something important?
Ted: "Yeah, I mean, if you're not scared you're not taking a chance. If you're not taking a chance then what the hell are you doing? Right?"

Quote #3: Giddyups is a bar with desperate cowgirls.
"I don't want Giddyups. I want that. I forgot what it feels like to chase the real thing. I think I'm ready again."

Quote #4:
"I think you start to recover the moment you meet that person who gets you back in the game"

I loved hearing these realizations that Ted has as he heals from his break-up. Even though he is hurt and scared and unsure of where to go.. he still plays the game. It requires letting go. It requires taking a chance. It requires the not wasting your time on fluff instead of the real things. It requires finding something new to hold onto. 

Way to go Ted Mosby.

If you're a Robyn character you buy another dog. If you're a Barney Stinson you stop being sad and start being awesome instead. If you're a Ted Mosby you follow your hopeless romantic side and just keep moving.
That's good enough inspiration for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment