About Me

My photo
I believe in dedicating my life to the things I truly love. This is my way of sharing that love with you.

Sunday, February 2, 2014

Dating a Girl Who Travels


Author's note:
A few days ago I read an article shared by a friend on Facebook titled, “Don't Date a Girl Who Travels.” I thought it would be another blog that shared a message different from what the title led you to believe. The article lists, paragraph by paragraph, reasons to stay away from girls who travel. As I read, I hoped there would be a disclaimer at the end stating that despite what had been said, a girl who travels is definitely something worth pursuing. That hope was never fulfilled.
I've spent all week thinking over the points the author listed, not sure what to think, because its almost as if they were intimately describing me. Me. My very favorite part of myself. And now, you bet I have some words to say.
My goal is not to degrade the original author or make an argument as to why someone should date a girl who travels. My focus is on confirming opinions, denying opinions, and adding a second perspective.

And now, let's begin.

Don't Date a Girl Who Travels: A Second Perspective
Written by: a female, travel-oriented enthusiast.

I'm the one with the messy, unkempt hair, colored by the sun. My skin is now far from fair like it once was; not even sun kissed, it's burnt with multiple tan lines, wounds, and bites here and there. But for every flaw on my skin, I have an interesting story to tell.
I revel in the beauty of the world and don't see the need to keep my body one of porcelain perfection when it limits my experiences and adventures. In fact, I love the way my hair bleaches under the summer sun and count every scar from ATV wrecks and forest branches as another marker displaying my life being one of meaning and fulfilled opportunities. My lifestyle has made my body strong and prepared for anything I am faced with.

Why should you date a girl who travels? I'm hard to please. The usual dinner-movie date at the mall sucks the life out of me. I crave new experiences and adventures. I'm not very impressed with your new car or expensive watch. I'd rather climb a rock or jump out of an airplane than hear you brag about it.
At times it seems as if I'm a city girl, surrounded by small-town folk. There's nothing wrong with the country life, but when I've seen the skyscrapers in Beijing, why would I stay at home and pretend I'm still content with pushing my wooden plow through a small plot of land? Please don't misunderstand me, I still appreciate and enjoy dinner & a movie or a ride in a nice car, but I've never made those things a priority. I'm happy that you have accumulated something important in your life, but those sort of things don't hold a lot of weight in mine.

Why should you date a girl who travels? I'll bug you to book a flight every time there's an airline seat sale. I won't party at Republiq. And I will never pay over $100 for Avicii because I know that one weekend of clubbing is equivalent to one week somewhere far more exciting.
I barely know what Republiq is, let alone desire to spend my time there amping up a temporary thrill; I'd rather chase after knowledge somewhere foreign. Far too many people make traveling more complicated than it really is. For the amount I spend each day at “home” pretending I want to be grinding up on some new hottie-boomba-lottie, I could be hiking through the Amazon or eating Muslim noodles in a hole-in-the-wall shop in China. It's a simple cost and benefit analysis and I'm coming out on top.

Truth is, I've never held a steady job. I'm always daydreaming about quitting. I don't want to keep working my butt off for someone else's dream. I have my own and I'm working toward it. I'm a freelancer. I make money working for various social events and random side jobs, along with others that require creativity and imagination. Don't waste my time complaining about your boring job.
I love working but the idea of an 8-5 job that takes up all my time and doesn't give much flexibility has about the same effect as tying me up, shoving me in a dark closet, and then waterboarding me. My idea of a job is one that not only allows me to travel, but is an advocate for doing so. I want to do something I love and get paid for it and then when I get bored with that, try something new. I respect those who are contracted to a job but don't understand why someone would endure that day after day if its not something they enjoy. There is too much potential and too many options in the world to settle for mediocrity.

Why should you date a girl who travels? I wasted my college degree and have switched careers almost entirely. I'm now a substitute teacher and program specialist at a science center. I'm not usually sure when my next paycheck is coming. I don't work like a robot all day. Instead, I go out and take what life has to offer and challenge you to do the same.
It's true I haven't really used my degree for a career but since when is that a requirement? Is it a sin for me to have spent 4 years of my life studying something I love simply for the sake of knowledge? The way I see things, getting a college degree opened up, rather than limited, my options. If I can develop my skills in multiple areas for relatively the same pay, why not take that route? The variety in my life keeps me at my very best and interested in what I'm working on.

Why should you date a girl who travels? I've chosen a life of uncertainty. I don't have a plan or a permanent address. I go with the flow and follow my heart. I dance to the beat of my own drum. I don't wear a watch. My days are ruled by the sun and the moon. When the rain comes, life stops and I'm oblivious to everything else for a moment. But I have learned that the most important thing in life isn't dancing in the rain.
I'm rarely boring. It seems as if I always have a story to tell or a random piece of information to rattle off. I love getting up in the morning and wandering from place to place, following whatever interests me. My life isn't always easy choosing the unknown route, but I always figure things out and build my experience along the way. I pack my life full of adventure but still take the time to stop and smell the roses. Random though it may be, I fill my life with things I value.

Why should you date a girl who travels? I tend to speak my mind. I will never try to impress your parents or friends. I know respect, but am not afraid to hold a debate about global issues or social responsibility.
Just because I speak my mind doesn't mean I'm always rude. I'm confident in who I am and what I believe and that shows through what I say. Therefore, while I appreciate being validated, I don't need to bow to those around me for their approval. I educate myself on my interests and am not shy about sharing my opinion.

I will never need you. I know how to pitch a tent and fly across the world without your help. I cook well and don't need you to pay for my meals. I'm too independent and don't care whether you travel with me or not. I will forget to check in with you when I arrive at my destination. I'm busy living in the present. I talk to strangers. I meet many interesting, like-minded people from around the world who share my passion and dreams. I will be bored with you.
I'm fiercely independent and I'm told often its one of my best traits. This part of my personality developed through life experiences that have weathered me over time. The way I live, independence is essential for survival. I'm often high on life and it isn't easy to slow down and purposefully make myself vulnerable to let others in. However, while leading a private life is most efficient, it is often lonely and friends I make along my journey only fill temporary needs. My dream is to travel the world with someone I care about but for now, I'm all I have.

So never date a girl who travels unless you can keep up with me. And if you unintentionally fall in love with me, don't you dare keep me. Let me go.
Or don't. If there's something you want in life, fight for it! If you fall in love with me and don't think you're up to pace, step it up. There is no reason to give something up that you're willing to work at for a lifetime. Whatever you do, make sure you're not holding me back.

Why should you date a girl who travels?
I'm independent, resourceful, and fiercely loyal to those I love. I care deeply about others, even if their dream is not my own. I'm witty and beautiful in my own way. I'll rarely say no to trying something new and will always be full of surprises. And if you manage to break through the wall of privacy I've built around myself, I just might fall in love with you as the best adventure of all.

No comments:

Post a Comment