The Sunday School lesson at church today was on:
...................*drumroll*....................
BECOMING:
any change from the lower level of potentiality to the higher level of actuality
A question was posed to the class:
What do you worry about and/or stress over?
Answers included:
-finishing college
-balancing school, work, social life
-living on a low income (cheap housing, eating Ramen..)
-providing for a future family on a low income
-knowing if the person I'm dating is the right one to marry
All the answers were ones I expected and have heard time and time again from college students.
As I sat there thinking about my own answer to that question, I realized none of their answers fit my own life. I don't say that to brag, I'm just saying I have a different set of concerns.
I like to think that there's not too much in life that I worry or stress over.
I prefer the term 'concerned.'
I am concerned about being satisfied with my life and future.
After much contemplation on this topic, especially these past few weeks, I've decided there should be a difference between what the world wants me to make of myself, and what I want to make of myself.
Much of the influence in my life tells me that as a woman with equal rights and a college graduate, I should be well on my way into a successful career. I should fight for what is rightfully mine and not employ my time and talents in a mediocre job or lifestyle. I can do anything, and I should be doing everything.
I agree.
Sort of.
While I agree with the drive and reasoning behind these views, I also realize that whatever I choose to do with my life should be something that satisfies me.
My allegiance to the world and its expectations only goes so far, at which point I need to figure out what achievements in my life I will be most proud.
The way I see things, as long as I am leading a healthy and forward-moving life, the choice of what is or is not an acceptable career and/or life choice is entirely mine.
So let me ask this-- what are you becoming?
Are you becoming what is socially correct and expected, or are you becoming what will bring you the most pride in yourself?
I hope you recognize the difference.


No comments:
Post a Comment