The other day I was looking for one of my favorite quotes which happens to be by Dr. Seuss-- something along the lines of, "You know you're in love when you can't sleep because reality is finally better than your dreams"
I couldn't find a picture on Google Images of that quote that I liked and actually fit at the top of my FB timeline so I resorted to the quote above instead and I must say, I like it quite a bit.
It goes along with another quote on my bedroom wall that says:
"In a world where you can be anything... be yourself."
I've spent a lot of time pondering on this subject the last few months. It has led to the questions:
Who am I?
Who do I want to be?
Do I act like myself?
Is how I act who I really am?
...
..
.
Just.. those types of questions.
I'll probably get into those in another blog post but my thought right now pertains specifically to being and acting and saying exactly who you are.
As I've immersed myself in relationship books and conversations and thoughts, I've come to realize just how extremely important trust is.
And just how very much trust I don't have in people.
I thought I did.. I thought that some of the people I felt I was close to in my life I trusted enough to be entirely honest with them.
The more I break down my relationships, the more I realize how many secrets and insecurities I hold.
How amazing would it be if we could actually be ourselves? If we could let down all the guards and walls we put up and simply say and act how we want to without the fear that it won't be enough for someone else or that they'll be disappointed in us?
What if we could tell people exactly what was on our mind and what we thought of them and what part they held in our lives?
What if we could simply kiss someone every moment our love for them was too much to express in words?
What if we believed that who we are really is what the world is looking for? That we don't need to always be controlled and perfect?
And most importantly, what if we believed that who we are is enough for ourselves?
What if we could love every part of who we are and therefore accept that someone else could love every part of us too?
Here's the thing.. what kind of life is a life lived by "what if" questions?
It is empty.. full of indecision and insecurity.. leaving those who don't matter to tell us who to be.
So here's the solution:
"Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."
This is easier said that done.. It is not easy to tell someone the truth. It is not easy to share what you honestly think about them. It is not easy to make a decision. It is not easy to fill your time with what matters to you rather than catering to the masses.
But it is possible.
And what greater achievement than living with the peace and freedom that you not only know who you are, but you are who you are. Who can say that they are actually honest with themselves and the world?
You can.


Sometimes people don't be themselves because they don't want to be themselves. Their current life, their current patterns, are everything they don't want to be. Sometimes the heart is a scary place that has to be locked up because if the emotions boiled over, they would boil them alive. On the other hand, people like that also yearn for someone that they can express themselves too, someone that they can open their heart too, and not have it be stabbed in its vulnerability.
ReplyDelete