About Me

My photo
I believe in dedicating my life to the things I truly love. This is my way of sharing that love with you.

Monday, March 5, 2012

Week 1: Peace

Peace:
--freedom from disturbance; quiet and tranquility--

As I have pondered on this word throughout the week I've focused on a couple different aspects.

The first is thinking about peace as the opposite of stress.
I'm one of those people who stresses like crazy. A good portion of the time I try to not let it show but I get stressed out to the point that my muscles ache and I make myself physically sick. 
As I have made an attempt to embody the word "peace" in my life I've tried out a few stress relieving methods.
When I feel pushed for time or late, I sing a calming song.
When I think so much my mind is going to explode from complicated secrets, I tell the truth.
When I feel overwhelmed by the amount of work I need to get done, I focus on one small aspect rather than my huge list.
When loud group gatherings reach the point of making me antsy, I take a break.

And it has worked-- I can temporarily relieve my stress level and get what I need to accomplished.

But peace is not just about being in a quiet spot and slowing things down.
Peace is also about accepting things for how they are and being okay with them.
Peace with ones self.
I have found a lot of peace this week in looking at aspects of my own and others' lives with a more mature perspective with an attitude of understanding rather than denial.
As we are accepting of circumstances and choices, we are able to stop fighting and surrender ourselves to a feeling of peace.

And who doesn't need a few minutes of that each day?

No comments:

Post a Comment