About Me

My photo
I believe in dedicating my life to the things I truly love. This is my way of sharing that love with you.

Saturday, June 15, 2013

Edge of Glory

For the final performance at the Daguanghua International School I work at my ILP group performed the song Edge of Glory by Lady Gaga. Jay organized this piece and first gave a title to an idea developing in my mind and I think it's appropriate that she both sparked and added the finishing touches to it. 
Before we began rehearsing Jay explained that the song was inspired by Gaga's grandfather's death and highlights the final moments you have on earth and how you should look at life directly as a champion. Singing the song with the idea in my mind that I was living on the edge of glory gave it so much more strength and meaning that I felt like I was actually being lifted up by it.
Today Jay asked me what I would write about if I were to write a song about our experience here in China. I thought for a second and then told her it would have nothing to do with China itself. I would write about how much I've learned and the realization I've come to of how much being alive and living has to offer. Life is infinite and eternal and you can reach out in every direction without hitting a wall. That's truly incredible that such a potential exists. 
But, as Jay pointed out, we limit ourselves. People are so comfortable and content in the boxes they've built for themselves that the thought of actually breaking down one of those walls and exploring the infinite space beyond what we've built around ourselves is truly terrifying. It's terrifying to realize that we don't need the comforts we've spent our entire lives building up around ourselves. It's terrifying to realize that we could walk out the door right now and get on a plane to anywhere, never looking back, and be perfectly fine. 
We don't need to scrap everything we've made for ourselves and take off in a random direction but I think we need to be a little bit more aware of everything life has to offer. 
Perhaps it wouldn't be a bad idea to stop a few times each day and think, 
I'm on the edge of glory!
And truly believe that you are.

No comments:

Post a Comment