About Me

My photo
I believe in dedicating my life to the things I truly love. This is my way of sharing that love with you.

Thursday, July 25, 2013

Kissing Some Warts


As I was reading a relationship book last week I stumbled over a concept that I've had on my mind for a while: 
The toad part of every prince

I'm not really referring to the negative attributes but to the traits you deem as negative without a reasonable explanation i.e. a certain outfit, the way they laugh, spelling words wrong in texts...
They're not necessarily bad things but they are things that may cause a slight twitch of discomfort.

So what are you supposed to do with those parts of your prince? (/princess?) 
They're obviously not a big enough issue to be a deal-breaker but they're things you'll probably never quite get over either. There's the other side too.. maybe they lack a random trait you're in search of in a partner.

I really liked the light the book shed on the topic:

"Whatever you find missing in him, you can get from other sources."

"...it is a man's imperfections that individualize him, give him character, and, finally, make him lovable."

"There is a prince in every toad and a toad in every prince. But does someone fall in love with the prince part of a person? No way. They fall in love with the toad part. It is the idiosyncrasies and weirdness that really endears someone to you, the part that makes you say, "Oh, that's just him," and you love him anyway."

I think it's beautiful to realize that "normal" is the exact opposite of what is lovable. Those quirky little habits are what make you human and thereby perfectly imperfect.

1 comment:

  1. I really love how many fairy tales are about seeing past outward appearances and seeing things for what they truly are.

    ReplyDelete