You'd think that 4 years of college would help you get at least a little bit serious about growing up but I had no intention of being a serious adult when I graduated college, let alone high school.
I remember going to see the movie House Bunny with a few friends my first semester at ASU and the song "When I Grow Up" playing as the credits rolled with this chorus:
When I grow up
I wanna be famous
I wanna be a star
I wanna be in movies
When I grow up
I wanna see the world
Drive nice cars
I wanna have boobies
When I grow up
Be on TV
People know me
Be on magazines
When I grow up
Fresh and clean
Number one chick when I step out on the scene
I think at that point in my life that's what my mind envisioned the future holding. The idea of growing up and adulthood was unreal to me and still a thing of glamour and fun.
I hit a point in China when I realized I was done with galavanting through life nonchalantly and wanted to get established with a real job and grown-up life. I wanted to get in debt for buying a car and then struggle a little bit as I paid my way out of that hole. I wanted to have to go to work instead of waking up in the morning and randomly choosing my list of tasks for the day. I wanted to take relationships a little more seriously and not be desperately available.
And that's what I've done and I love it. (So far!)
BUT.. it's so very different than what I expected. My perception of adulthood has shifted from glamour to dull monotony to what I'm experiencing now.. FUN.
Rather than my entire life all smearing together there are now defined lines of work and play which has helped to create deeper meaning and enjoyment.
I love my life.
I love my roommates who leave me sticky notes full of love on my door and are always up for some sort of party.
I love having pool parties and movie nights and BBQs and people jumping out of cakes and Shamu and glow stick battles at my house.
I love my new group of friends that I still have so much to learn about but am enjoying being with for every step of progression.
I love my car that gets me where I want to go with an added air of pride.
I love my ward family that I get to grow with spiritually and socially.
Etc....
Life's not perfect and many things are pretty much the same. When I got home from China my hair still bleached blonde and my skin still turned tan. (Thank goodness!) For the first time since I was in junior high I don't have a best friend which is scary and lonely and exciting all at the same time. I've discovered that fast food really just doesn't taste very good and I'd rather eat at home or save up for a nicer restaurant. I checked my credit score for the first time since I got a credit card last year and I aced it with a 753! And best of all-- I totaled up my own personal consumption of calories on my Ben and Jerry's tower and it comes to 28,000 calories in the past 5 years.
And that's what I've done and I love it. (So far!)
BUT.. it's so very different than what I expected. My perception of adulthood has shifted from glamour to dull monotony to what I'm experiencing now.. FUN.
Rather than my entire life all smearing together there are now defined lines of work and play which has helped to create deeper meaning and enjoyment.
I love my life.
I love my roommates who leave me sticky notes full of love on my door and are always up for some sort of party.
I love having pool parties and movie nights and BBQs and people jumping out of cakes and Shamu and glow stick battles at my house.
I love my new group of friends that I still have so much to learn about but am enjoying being with for every step of progression.
I love my car that gets me where I want to go with an added air of pride.
I love my ward family that I get to grow with spiritually and socially.
Etc....
Life's not perfect and many things are pretty much the same. When I got home from China my hair still bleached blonde and my skin still turned tan. (Thank goodness!) For the first time since I was in junior high I don't have a best friend which is scary and lonely and exciting all at the same time. I've discovered that fast food really just doesn't taste very good and I'd rather eat at home or save up for a nicer restaurant. I checked my credit score for the first time since I got a credit card last year and I aced it with a 753! And best of all-- I totaled up my own personal consumption of calories on my Ben and Jerry's tower and it comes to 28,000 calories in the past 5 years.
As I grow up all I want is to be happy.
And I am.
Life is great and I am so incredibly happy discovering this new chapter of my life.


No comments:
Post a Comment