I've been stuck blog-wise lately. I have ideas that come and go but nothing I've been super passionate about. I have, however, been thinking a lot lately about what someone should expect for and in a long-term relationship whether that be dating or marriage.
My knowledge about what to expect comes from several different sources.
There are the chick-flicks with stellar guys that, while they may have made a mistake, eventually come around and are portrayed as being wonderful from that point on.
There's the very Mormon view that encourages you to seek return missionaries who are temple worthy and always get their home teaching done. But wait, you also need to apply the Atonement and forgive anything and everything they've done wrong.
There's the U.S.'s perspective with divorce rates averaging out to a coin flip percentage that says hey, people are fake and uncommitted so don't expect too much.
And then there's what I think. And hope. And pray.
I think-hope-pray that what I expect in my own relationships actually exists.
I think its reasonable to expect "to find a good guy, someone who is going to worship the ground that you walk on and want to spend every waking moment around you." A guy I really respect and admire told me that 3 years ago and that's what I expect from the men in my life that claim to care about me.
I've dated men who come so close to qualifying but never quite meet the mark I hold for them. They have what it takes, they really do, but time after time they strike out.
I understand that people are not perfect and I can't expect perfection. I really don't think my aspirations for a spouse are unattainable and I am completely willing to give and take where needed because I realize I will never find exactly what I am looking for BUT--
At what point do I come to terms with the relationship needing to end?
Or should I?
Is it reasonable for me to expect more or am I setting my expectations too high and I've already found as good as it gets?
Am I just not willing to sacrifice enough and work harder?
Here's a cliche thought- the song Part of Your World from the Little Mermaid.. I listened to it today and thought wow, that's my world. I want to be part of a relationship that is so much more.
Ariel: "Maybe he's right. Maybe there is something the matter with me.
I just don't see how a [boy] that makes such wonderful things could be bad."
Look at this [boy]
Isn't [he] neat?
Wouldn't you think my [relationship]'s complete?
I just don't see how a [boy] that makes such wonderful things could be bad."
Look at this [boy]
Isn't [he] neat?
Wouldn't you think my [relationship]'s complete?
Wouldn't you think I'm the girl
The girl who has everything?
Look at [his bod']
Treasures untold
How many wonders can one [guy] hold?
Looking around here you think
Sure, she's got everything
I've got gadgets and gizmos a-plenty
I've got whozits and whatzits galore
You want thingamabobs?
I've got twenty!
But who cares?
No big deal
I want more
The girl who has everything?
Look at [his bod']
Treasures untold
How many wonders can one [guy] hold?
Looking around here you think
Sure, she's got everything
I've got gadgets and gizmos a-plenty
I've got whozits and whatzits galore
You want thingamabobs?
I've got twenty!
But who cares?
No big deal
I want more
I'm not so much frustrated as I am wary. Maybe I expect too much. Maybe I need a reality check to tell me that sometimes life is as good as it gets and I need to just accept that and get to work.
But what if there really is more and I'm too busy chasing the quaffle to believe in and see the snitch right in front of my face?
What if.


Mad props for the HP zinger at the end. ;)
ReplyDeleteI don't know. I don't think it's unreasonable to hope for more. I think God will lead us to the people we need to be with, and we shouldn't settle for less. I think as long as you're making these decisions prayerfully, you're making the right ones.