Yes, yet another blog post inspired by How I Met Your Mother.
"A lie is just a great story that someone ruined with the truth. ... People want the lie. They NEED the lie." ~Barney Stinson
I hear that statement a lot. Usually in the form of "Stop ruining my good story with your facts." but still, all the same.
So what exactly is a lie?
Lie: an intentionally false statement; present a false impression; be deceptive
I hate lies.
I hate lying to people.
I hate other people lying to me.
I hate seeing others lie to each other.
I hate it.
I've been lied to, cheated on, and abused by people I once considered the idea of marrying.
I've watched my friends and family go through the same things and far too often, things much worse.
I very firmly believe lying is the best way to destroy a relationship and damage a life.
I also believe that the truth is the best way to build a relationship and create a good life.
I try to trust people, whether that be the entire human race or the person closest to me.
I also try to be trustworthy because there is nothing I want more right now than to have a deep relationship founded on trust.
The problem is that I have what I believe to be a very real perspective on the trustworthiness of humans.
While most people do not intentionally lie on a regular basis, I believe that most people unintentionally lie every single day. I know I do.
Most of the time, we lie to ourselves. We lie about who we are, what we want, and what we really need in our lives. While those lies are not intentional or directed toward anyone, seeking to damage, they often still have their effects.
I think honesty is a huge indicator of maturity and integrity.
When someone can be honest with themselves and eventually with others, it shows they are prepared for greater things in their life.
To contradict Barney Stinson, people only need lies when they haven't figured out themselves and their place in the world around them.
I think our great stories come when we're able to embrace the truth and find the beauty in what it has to offer.
While most people do not intentionally lie on a regular basis, I believe that most people unintentionally lie every single day. I know I do.
Most of the time, we lie to ourselves. We lie about who we are, what we want, and what we really need in our lives. While those lies are not intentional or directed toward anyone, seeking to damage, they often still have their effects.
I think honesty is a huge indicator of maturity and integrity.
When someone can be honest with themselves and eventually with others, it shows they are prepared for greater things in their life.
To contradict Barney Stinson, people only need lies when they haven't figured out themselves and their place in the world around them.
I think our great stories come when we're able to embrace the truth and find the beauty in what it has to offer.


No comments:
Post a Comment