A huge part of
college-aged life is figuring out who you are and what you want to do
with yourself. One of the parts that isn't highlighted nearly as much
is what happens if you don't like the person you discover or if
people around you don't like you either.
For Christmas a year ago I
got a letter that helped put to words my greatest triumphs and
deepest struggles. It helped me come to terms with how much I loathed
parts of myself and gave me a starting point to a personal
reconstruction.
A year later I stand
before you a different person in many ways, still struggling with a
few things, but better educated on myself and what I want than ever
before. I love myself and I love my life. And if I was alone in the
world, life would be sunshine and daisies.
The issue that arises is
that there ARE people and I DO have to live with them.
And sometimes, they just don't like me. I scare people and honestly,
I enjoy scaring them. By being my full blown, all around glorious
self, I. Scare. People. Especially in the LDS world.
I am like bacon on a
Jewish sabbath: deliciously repulsive.
Guuuuurl what you been
doin' that people gots to go hatin' on you for?
Well sista friends, I gots
to say, nuthin' too terrible.
I don't torture animals or
sleep around or pick my nose (in public).
I go to church every week
and have a decent job and say my please and thank you's.
But, heaven forbid, I
enjoy walking around in whatever I want at my house. I share diarrhea
stories around the table during Christmas dinner. And if I'm
somewhere I don't want to be, I leave.
And somewhere in the
middle of all of that, I am socially unacceptable.
I don't want to be Relief
Society President-esqeue. I don't want to volunteer at an old folks'
home or tell my friends that I will be praying for them.
But for heaven sakes I am
TIRED of the reactions. I am tired of people saying hi to me with
pity in their eyes. I'm tired of being put on the agenda in church
meetings for possible wayward souls. In fact, I am so tired of all of
this that sometimes I wonder if I should cut the stubborn resistance
and pretend I'm a part of everything I make a point to separate
myself from.
“I have nobody. I have
surrounded myself with people who are fake just because I need to
talk to somebody.” ~Nikki Reed
Fake it 'til you make it.
BE FAKE the world screams! But wait, be true to who you are at the
same time. Be who you are and love who you are but still be
socially acceptable. If the people around you are dancing, DANCE! If
they're bubbly, LAUGH ALONG. “It's better to be a first rate
version of yourself instead of a second rate version of somebody
else,” but just make sure you don't show all your cards because
that might scare people off.
“It's better to be a
fake somebody than a real nobody.” ~Matt Damon
I've been thinking on this
idea for a few weeks now and talking to a friend the other night I
was a little relieved to discover I have an army backing me up.
Me: “What's the number
one thing you look for when dating?”
Friend: “Oh gosh I don't
know. Molly Mormon is one of the biggest turn offs though, haha.”
“Why?”
“I don't know. Maybe I'm
afraid they will get offended if I'm just myself around them. I guess
I just assume they are judgmental. I guess thats judgmental of me.”
People are often scared of
what they don't know. Just as others don't know me, I often don't
take the time to get to know them very well so all-in-all this
ranting can be thrown out the window because maybe I'm just as
guilty.
The nice part is that even
though you may feel the need to be fake for 99% of the people you
meet, that 1% loves every bit of your non-standard self and when it
comes down to it, those are the only people who actually matter.
“True friendship can
afford true knowledge. It does not depend on darkness &
ignorance.” ~Henry David Thoreau


No comments:
Post a Comment