Read these lyrics-- REALLY read them and take the imagery/symbolism and turn it into life--
What I love most about rivers is you can't step in the same river twice.
The water's always changing, always flowing
But people I guess can't live like that
They all must pay a price
To be safe we lose our chance of ever knowing
What's around the river bend
Waiting just around the river bend
I look once more just around the river bend
Beyond the shore where the gulls fly free
Don't know what for
What I dream the day might send just around the river bend
For me, coming for me
I feel it there beyond those trees
Or right behind these waterfalls
Can I ignore that sound of distant drumming?
For a handsome sturdy husband who builds handsome sturdy walls
And never dreams that something might be coming
Just around the river bend
Just around the river bend
I look once more just around the river bend
Beyond the shore, somewhere past the sea
Don't know what for
Why do all my dreams extend just around the river bend
Just around the river bend
Should I choose the smoothest course steady as the beating drum?
Should I marry Kocoum?
Is all my dreaming at an end?
Or do you still wait for me, dream-giver, just around the river bend?
Rivers, water, trees, waterfalls, drums.... they are all part of our lives. I want to start by point out a section from the first verse:
But people I guess can't live like that
They all must pay a price
To be safe we lose our chance of ever knowing
All of us, more or less than others, want to stay on the smooth river course. We want that security and protection. However, by always staying on the smooth course we risk the high potential of not discovering something great. We can never be great if we don't take risks and push ourselves out of our comfort zones. We have to trust other people, new situations, and the world as a whole.
Every so often (and maybe a lot!), these splashes into a rapid, untamed current leave us soaking wet and exhausted. After we have given all that we have, every last stroke and kick against that brutal storm, we collapse exhausted on the bank.. too tired and broken to move for a while.. desiring only to curl up with a warm blanket and let every pain and frustration go.
Other times, our brave moments are rewarded with catching the current and being taken along paths that we never even imagined could be so great. We learn how to swim with the current and feel that ecstasy of traveling twice as fast as we could have in calmer waters.
And you know what? It's worth it. Even if you are left beaten upon the shore you have gained strength and endurance that will prepare you for another dive. Trust and know that you are strong enough to get back up (after snuggling up in a warm blanket with hot cocoa and toast) and give the unimaginable another shot.
Oh, and you can never have too many cute swimsuits to wear along the way.
Speaking of which, I already super miss swimming.
Both literally and figuratively.


No comments:
Post a Comment