About Me

My photo
I believe in dedicating my life to the things I truly love. This is my way of sharing that love with you.

Monday, July 9, 2012

Voldemort Teaches Chastity

Last week my building counselor (BC) asked a question when we met for everyone to get to know each other. 
Her question: What is your favorite movie/book and what gospel principle can you pull out of it?

I'm always looking for a good intro question and I discovered I really loved this one.
The movie I picked was Slumdog Millionaire. I quickly went over the plot-- a boy who is good to the core and through his entire life everything bad is happening to him... His one goal in life is to find the girl he's always been in love with and be with her.
Gospel principle: Even if we are doing the right thing our entire life, crap is going to happen. In the end though, our older brother (Christ) will sacrifice himself for us in order that we may have our happily ever after.

I think my movie is pretty bombdiggidy and I appreciated the different gospel principles I could have pulled out of it but there was another one that beat mine hands down--

Harry Potter!
One of the girls is far more obsessed than I am (she's read the entire series 49 times) and shared how she was nervous during a talk in church one day and ended up teaching gospel principles from Harry Potter the entire time.

I've discussed a few different gospel principles from Harry Potter before but there was one she talked about that I have never noticed-- the symbolism of the horcruxes.

Creating a horcrux is like breaking the law of chastity

In order to create a horcrux, you have to commit a major sin that tears your soul apart.
You put a piece of your soul into an object.
You can put the pieces of your soul back together but it is painful and requires complete remorse for what you did. 

Isn't it the same with breaking the law of chastity? It is one of the greatest sins and will tear us apart. We leave pieces of ourselves with those that we have intimate relations. It is possible to repent of this sin but it requires a broken heart and feeling true remorse for what you did.

It's amazing what you can learn from movies, ya?

1 comment: