I'm super stressed out so I'm going to keep telling you about random things in China
In the video the guy talked about stray cats hanging out in the bushes by our dorm building. Still true. Almost every time I walk out of the building heading towards the cafeteria there are a couple cats with their heads in the trash cans. Some of the cats are really pretty until you get a closer look and then you see the trash caked into their faces and one calico I looked at yesterday only had one eye. Our first day here there was a group hiking around on Spider Mountain and the boys found this dog they named Sir Nicholas because his throat had been cut open and you could see his insides but it was pink and healing and he was still running around. Creepy ghost dog.
Sometimes I worry about the Chinese and think my abilities and knowledge could be put to better use than yelling at a whole bunch of 4th graders to be quiet. For example-- they're super touchy about electricity here and it's very expensive. They have heating panels on lots of the walls that are turned on all the time because it gets pretty darn chilly here some days. But then they leave the windows open with the heating on so there's cold air blowing in. I realize that the heaters are probably powered by gas or hot water but whatever it is it's got to cost money so... why not shut the windows so the heaters can actually work? Today was the first day that I didn't have to wear a coat the entire day. You wear your coat outside. You wear it inside while you eat. You wear it while you're in class. You wear it in your room. If only they had heaters...... :)
The bedding here is weird. Our "mattresses" were covered with a "sheet" that I think is really a tablecloth. The blankets go in a ... como se dice... duvet? basically a sheet cover for your comforters. Which is smart. But I had to explain to my roommate how they worked. And that's as much as we got sheet-wise. The pillows are all like bean-bags. I don't know if they are filled with rice or what but they're hard and form fitting at the same time. They gave us a hand towel to put on top of them for a pillow case. I took an extra duvet to use as a bottom sheet and I'm using my New Moon blanket as a pillowcase so I'm figuring things out. I'm actually warm enough in our rooms here! I froze in Beijing even though I used both of the spare blankets in the room and dressed in multiple layers. Here I sleep next to the heater and I pinned the curtains up so they cover the window but not my bed which helps keep the cold out. I don't even hate getting out of my bed in the morning too much because it's a comfortable temperature.
OK I'm going to go ambush my head teachers and figure out WTH is going on with this teaching. It was one heck of a day.

No comments:
Post a Comment