I am constantly discovering how much of my job is simply keeping people happy. Keeping the customers happy. Keeping the paperwork people happy. Keeping my bosses happy. Truly-- most of my efforts go to keeping my boss happy because if they're not happy-go-lucky content, work is stressful and a little bit closer to hell than I would like.
The biggest problem though is my bosses are often much more of a pain in the butt than any customers are. I still get told how to do certain things that I've been doing for over a year... Its not my fault that I have school field trips that I have to take off every week... I didn't actually screw up that order-- that was the less than average in the area of common sense person you just hired... The customer wouldn't have looked at you like you were crazy when you asked them that question if you would have listened to me telling you over and over again that you were talking to the wrong car in drive through...
Then there is the other kind of boss who won't even let you work. What's the purpose of hiring someone when you don't have anything productive for them to do? It's really not necessary to practically babysit me by filling my hours with meaningless work. Well, at least then I'm actually getting hours instead of you constantly sending me home and telling me I can make up the hours later... which actually, I can't. Or my favorite is when I'm a minute late and you just decide to not show up at all because you're so terribly busy socializing at another coffee hour...
So really--- I understand why people just work for themselves. It's not that my jobs are bad. They're actually fabulous and I love them but it's all the other unnecessary drama and wasted time that has me frustrated.


No comments:
Post a Comment