Pretty Good
- by Charles Osgood from the Osgood File, 1986
- Who sat in a pretty good class
- And was taught by a pretty good teacher
- Who always let pretty good pass.
- He wasn’t terrific at reading,
- He wasn’t a whiz-bang at math,
- But for him, education was leading
- Straight down a pretty good path.
- He didn’t find school too exciting,
- But he wanted to do pretty well,
- And he did have some trouble with writing
- Since nobody taught him to spell.
- When doing arithmetic problems,
- Pretty good was regarded as fine.
- 5+5 needn’t always add up to be 10;
- A pretty good answer was 9.
- The pretty good class that he sat in
- Was part of a pretty good school,
- And the student was not an exception:
- On the contrary, he was the rule.
- The pretty good school that he went to
- Was there in a pretty good town,
- And nobody there seemed to notice
- He could not tell a verb from a noun.
- The pretty good student in fact was
- Part of a pretty good mob.
- And the first time he knew what he lacked was
- When he looked for a pretty good job.
- It was then, when he sought a position,
- He discovered that life could be tough,
- And he soon had a sneaking suspicion
- Pretty good might not be good enough.
- The pretty good town in our story
- Was part of a pretty good state
- Which had pretty good aspirations
- And prayed for a pretty good fate.
- There once was a pretty good nation
- Pretty proud of the greatness it had,
- Which learned much too late,
- If you want to be great,
- Pretty good is, in fact, pretty bad.
So... the purpose to this post. For my senior highschool yearbook I was interviewed and asked why I wanted to be in the top 20 of my class. I actually did not remember this or what my response was until Matt read it to me a week ago.
"I choose to be in the top 20 because what I want to achieve can only come from a lot of work. There is no easy path."
I wish I could say that now. I wish I knew exactly what it is I want and cared enough to give everything I have to make it happen. I wish I was brave enough and confident enough and trusting to the point that even in my exhausted state I would be a bit more comfortable with the choices I am making.
Don't get me wrong-- I'm not saying I am depressed and have screwed up. There's a lot in my life that I'm proud of myself for accomplishing. There's a lot that I still work hard for and am motivated to achieve.
I just wish I would quit messing around with the things I love so much that don't matter and have the courage and motivation to be the person I want to be.
I'm so sick of people wanting to be things but not ever becoming those things.
I'm not that kind of person.


No comments:
Post a Comment