There comes a time in life when you must make some kind of conclusion about homosexuals. It's quite simple to not do so-- always pushing the idea to the side and classifying it as something not really part of your world but let's face it... it is. The concept of people being homosexual is one that doesn't frequent my mind too often. Why? Not so much that I have not had enough interactions with it in my life but that I cannot understand it and that frustrates me to the point that it is easier to simply leave things on the point that some people are attracted to the opposite sex and choose to act on those inclinations. But that's where I leave it at. I have long past quit trying to explain to myself why they have that inclination, when they "became" homosexual, or if it is actually something that exists. It's not something I have personally experienced so my answers for those things are extremely limited.
What are my personal experiences with homosexuals you may ask? Well, thinking on it now I believe it started with Christian Siriano. Yes, that fierce designer that was once on the show Project Runway. I never gave homosexuality much thought then because that was simply who Christian was. He was a hilariously charming clothing designer who I came to adore. So what if he liked to try on his own dresses he made? So what if he once had someone carry him around in his man purse? That is just Christian.
After that hit Proposition 8/102. That one really bothered me. I still haven't made a decision about which way I would have voted. I have a firm belief that it is only natural and right that a man and woman be together, not 2 men or 2 women. I would rather not live my life surrounded by couples of the same sex. I do not want my children to be raised in a world where in school they are taught about Bob and Joe falling in love and having a family and just how exactly that works because at home that world does not exist. I don't want my daughter to take a human sexuality class at ASU and have her be the minority because she doesn't agree with the latest paper topic on homosexuality. OK so easy-- I would vote yes for the proposition that marriage should only be between a man and woman. But I also read the proposition to mean a lot of other things. By voting no I am saying I don't think homosexuals should be able to marry the person they choose. I realize that if people voted yes for everyone to do what they wanted then there would be chaos but I just think that things like religion and marriage are touchy subjects when it comes to the law and they require a lot of thought and discussion. In my Mormon marriage bible on the subject of same-sex marriage I have found a few points that I agree on. 1-"We regard it as not only our right but our duty to oppose those forces which we feel undermine the moral fiber of society." So that's the why to involvement with the government. 2- "There is no justification to redefine what marriage is. Such is not our right, and those who try will find themselves answerable to God." They have a point.. I mean truly-- sex only works between people of the opposite sex so logically same-sex attraction does not make sense. It all relates back to Darwin -> the purpose is to carry on your species.. which is only possible if the puzzle pieces fit. The family is the most important thing in this world so how can I agree with something that so strongly opposes the thing I believe in the most?
My next major interaction with the world of homosexuals occurred on a trip to California one Spring Break. I went to Disneyland with three of my best friends and on the way we picked up their friend Dana who is a lesbian. I admit, I was a little bit nervous about that. After meeting Dana, you can't help but love her and become instant friends. And she is an amazing person-- and ya know what, it doesn't matter to me what her sexual orientation is.. she's just Dana.
In one of my classes I befriended "Gay Steve" who is happily in love with his partner and is very open about his attraction to other males. And he's a great guy who's fun to work with and be around.
Truly, this list could contain so many things.
But on to the reason this whole post and idea got started in my head-- one of my closest friends from back in day has informed me that he is gay and always has been gay. And you know what? It makes you think... it makes you walk through all your memories and reevaluate them in an entirely new way. It is confusing and frustrating and heartbreaking. It makes you wonder why things happened the way they did and how this shattered reality really fits back together. And it makes you doubt. It makes you doubt how such a thing as being homosexual can even exist when you've seen someone's life entirely turn around. And it makes you love them. Love them because they're your friend and they're still the same person. I don't know how it all fits together or if its really true but when it comes down to it.. it just really doesn't matter.



Strangely I have been thinking a lot of these same things lately. It doesn't make sense to me either... I have a friend who 'came out' and I too looked back and reevaluated all the time we spent together. I guess what I'm trying to day is that I feel a lot of the same things you do.
ReplyDelete