About Me

My photo
I believe in dedicating my life to the things I truly love. This is my way of sharing that love with you.

Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Post-date text messages


I have recently become aware of what I am going to refer to as PDTM (post date text message(s)). 
I'll be honest... they are still out of my comfort zone but I'm getting used to them. I used to be confused by them because hello if I was just on a date with you then why didn't you just tell me that before you dropped me off 20 minutes ago? Now, however, I see them a little bit differently-- more of a confirmation that the date went well and I'm not a complete social reject like I occasionally enjoy categorizing myself as.
I did a little bit of research and here's what he experts have to say:

"During our parents' generation, you'd go on a date and cross your fingers that your crush called you the next day. But today it's grown a lot more complicated....
"If a date goes well, it's becoming standard practice to send a follow-up text message: "I had a great time tonight," or "I can't stop thinking about you..." Most of my friends wait about a half hour and then send a little thank-you note. It's a nice way to cap off a date, don't you think? You can give an instant thumbs-up and feel like you ended on a sweet note. (Plus, it's easier to write bold I-like-you's than to (gulp) say them.)" ~Glamour
OR
Flirting via text message is a sacred art, and gives guys the opportunity to make use of those smiley faces that in any other context would clearly be the gayest thing ever. 
OR
Sending the post-date text cuts through games. I am at a point where I want to date/get to know women that aren't going to play games, be flakely, don't have an interest. Sometimes this text can cut through the games. She knows I am interested, there isn't second-guessing. Also, if someone is hesitant about how things are progressing, the text can cut through that as well. 

OR

"I just wanted to tell you how much I enjoyed this past couple days and I'm totally and hopelessly in love with you. My dearest (insert other person's name), you're the love of my life and I can't wait to see you again tonight!"
Followed by:
"Whoops."
OR
What has two thumbs and just wants to be friends with you?

So PDTM have a pretty solid place in our lives.. an increasingly solid place. They can give confirmation to a positive date, cut through the games, and provide an easy way out to say what you want and not sound like a total retard when you do. 

And the thing is.. PDTM are not limited to dating. They have a place with your friends too. Think about it... if you spend time with one of your friends and have a good time you usually end up sending them a text later in the day/evening simply because they're on your mind and you want to continue talking to them whether you're conscious of that desire or not.

Now you just have to figure out what to say back to such awkward messages

1 comment:

  1. People are much more direct and comfortable when not actually talking to someone face to face....

    ReplyDelete