I've hated Christmas for several years now..
I hate all the unfortunate family episodes that seem to occur around Christmas.
I hate the emphasis on relationships.
I hate the obsession with decorations and treats and overcrowded Walmarts and airports.
But most of all, I hate gifts.
Which.. is extremely ironic because in a group the other night we all listed our favorite symbol of Christmas and the star was already claimed so when it came to my turn my mind went blank and was relieved by a loudly whispered "gifts!"
I hate Christmas shopping.
It's not that I don't like buying things for other people or the excuse to do so--
It's that I don't like feeling obligated to find someone a present.
Then you have the stipulations of price and usefulness and creativity...
If I want to buy something for someone, then that's cool but I don't like making it a factor of stress.
One of my favorite things about Christmas are the Salvation Army people that stand outside Walmart ringing bells.
Usually, most individuals have quite the opposite feeling towards these people.
I love them because to me, it is an untainted Christmas tradition that has great meaning.
Growing up, my mom would always put a dollar in the tin when we'd go to the store. I never verbally questioned it but it was something that always intrigued me as a child.
Now that I'm older, I do the same. A few weeks back I went to Walmart with my mom and as I was reaching in my purse to grab a dollar, my mom was already pulling one out.
What an example.
I love the bell ringers because each time I visit the store, I am reminded of the real reason for Christmas. As I am surrounded by frantic shoppers trying to find the perfect gift, I am reminded that the perfect gift is not found with a price tag. The perfect gift is ourselves whether we are giving time or love or simply listening to someone. The perfect gift is humbling ourselves and realligning our motives and actions to be earthly angels.
One dollar is a small cost for the joy that dollar stands for.


I feel like my friendship with you has just been destroyed. I HATE those stupid bell ringers. I will not give them a dollar until they decided to stop ringing their obnoxious bells at me.
ReplyDelete