About Me

My photo
I believe in dedicating my life to the things I truly love. This is my way of sharing that love with you.

Wednesday, December 28, 2011

What We Want


What do we want?
What do YOU want? 
Do we ever figure it out? 

How often have you seen an individual or a group follow an idea simply because it is there?
It's so much easier to live our lives just letting things happen and going along with them rather than putting forth the effort to figure something out for ourselves.

Heck, I did that the last time I voted. I abhor the static chit chat of the world. Politics. Natural disasters. War. Government spending. I just.. don't care. If that makes me seem heartless and uneducated, heck- its probably true. So when it came time to vote I looked at what my mother filled in on her sample ballot, read over it really fast to see if I agreed, and then submitted my own ballot with those same answers. 

Is that irresponsible of me? YES! Is that lazy? YES! Is that taking the time to figure out what I really want? ABSOLUTELY NOT! 

What do you think was a leading factor promoting the Holocaust?
It was people who knew what they wanted leading those who did not make a decision or were not willing to contradict a choice. 
How much easier is it to let everything around you define your life?
How much easier is it to follow in the footsteps of someone who already knows what they want?
How easy is it to simply exist and see where the wind takes you?
SUPER easy.

But that's not good enough.

No, we must figure out what it is we want.
And in order to do that,
we must figure out who we are.

I feel like the picture at the top of this post describes me pretty well.
-The shot was taken on temple grounds- I am a Mormon
-My nails are neon orange- evidence of a hint of rebellion
-I'm wearing a semi-tacky skirt with an undershirt that doesn't entirely match- my statement against a norm
-My shirt is off a clearance rack- pretty much the only way I tend to shop
-I'm creepily smiling and scaring a duck- humor is obvious

Those are some of the things that define who I am. 
Those are also some of the things that define what I want.
I want the things around me to be like me. 
I want the rules to be always good to the core but with that touch of rebellion.
I want people in my life who are ridiculous and love to smile- just like me.

I discovered this song while searching for something else today.
It has many different topics that can be pulled out but for this post, I want to focus on this:
Sometimes, we require other people in our lives to help show us who we are and therefore what we want.
Not people to follow as a replacement for defining our own rules, but someone to help us see a new perspective and point out things about ourselves that we are much more incapable of seeing on our own.
Yeah, I know that's not what the song is really about, but go with it.

Everyone is guilty of not making the decision as to what they want or who they are.
But every once in a while, a couple months have gone and your world is different-
not that you forced those changes, but that they simply happened while you were riding the current.

Sometimes they're good.
Sometimes they leave things to be desired.

Whichever, it's always a good idea to take a few minutes ever so often and think.
Think about what you want.
Think about who you are.
And think about why any of that matters.

No comments:

Post a Comment