LOL I'm cleaning out old drafts of posts and stumbled upon this gem from my first semester in geology.
My GLG 310 (structure) class went on 2 field trips yesterday. We left at 7:30 am and made it back early at 12:30 when I then tried to finish my outdoor lab but gave up after a bit because I could not stand the heat anymore.
The high for today is 108 degrees. I'm pretty sure it was close to that yesterday too. But even through all the sweating yesterday in the burning hot Arizona desert I think I definitely enjoyed myself.
You see, I realized yesterday that I've been a rock nerd for a long long time. I used to collect rocks out in the desert as a kid and study them. I went to the rock museum in Mesa in my youth and I remember it being my favorite museum and I still have the rock collection I got from that. Speak of which I should go take a look now that I know a little bit more about rocks.
We started our trip at a place just North of Northern Ave. in Phoenix called Dreamy Draw Park. For some reason when my professor had talked about this place in class I imagined these lovely light orange colored mountains with white layers running through them. Basically the idea of a creamsicle smothered onto a mountain. Well, it did not look like that. Up close though lots of the rocks did have a creamy orange color with white deposits. And the section of the mountains we spent the most time studying was a section of phyllite that shimmers so it was kind of a magical area.

No comments:
Post a Comment