About Me

My photo
I believe in dedicating my life to the things I truly love. This is my way of sharing that love with you.

Saturday, June 11, 2011

My obsession with marriage


I've always been a little bit obsessed with marriage and weddings. Maybe not always but at least in the past 5 years I have been. Before you get the wrong idea though-- let me clarify. In the beginning... I was, well, girly. I was convinced that at the age of 17 as soon as I graduated from high school I was going to get married. Ha. HAHAHAHA. 

But now, I'm realistic.. mostly. I am interested in the concepts of marriage and how they work and what they require... blah blah blah and also the pretty stuff-- mostly dresses but every once in a while I enjoy browsing engagement rings or bouquets or reception locations.

I was looking on the internet a couple weeks back for ideas and stumbled across a series of quizzes that aid men and women in the proposal/engagement/wedding process. And of course, I couldn't resist. Here are some of my results:

What kind of proposal I want:
Public proposal.
When you propose to her, she wants the world (or at least a part of it) to know! Ask her to marry you on stage at a concert or show, or find a way to pop the question to her on live TV. However you decide to do it, just make sure there's a crowd -- the more cheers, the better. Extra points for you if all of her friends and family are there to see it.


What kind of engagement ring I would like best:
She's an old-fashioned romantic, so give her an old-fashioned ring by picking one up at an estate sale or antique store, or shop for a new one that has a vintage look. Ask the salesperson to show you styles from decades past that aren't super-popular today. If you have a ring passed down from an older relative, either present her with that or -- if you think the style is more odd than charmingly old-fashioned -- have the stone removed and placed in a modern setting. She'll love that her ring has had meaning for multiple generations.


My preferred honeymoon location:
You are a Romantic Soul
You need a spot where no one can find you -- an untouched location where you and your new spouse can spend some much-deserved alone time together. What a luxury! For one of the most romantic spots on earth, book a room overlooking the caldera on Greece’s Santorini Island and watch the sun dip into the ocean every night from your private balcony. Or rent a small villa with a private pool in the hills around Montego Bay, Jamaica. Many of these homes are available with a private chef (and security guard, ensuring no one will disturb you). For an isolated and exotic destination, consider Fiji, where your room is set on stilts over the gently lapping blue sea.


Before I continue this post to where I want it to go:
Fiji.... is not the place to go on a honeymoon unless there is AC in that hut on stilts. Seriously-- that's the first thing I thought when I went to Fiji: never honeymoon here. It is far too humid. But beautiful and wonderful. If there is AC. 


So my point in this post: My views of marriage have changed once again. I just don't even know what to think some times. I am still under the firm belief that marriage can be the absolute best thing ever but... then there is divorce. 


I doubt you'll find many people who more passionately hate divorce than me. The problem is, I understand it. At times I feel like I have two personalities on this subject. There is the part of me that cannot understand why anyone should ever get a divorce. That part of me loathes the idea of divorce and is convinced that everyone should stay together because that's what marriage is-- always loving someone and working through things together. But then there's the other part of me. The part that has watched far too many marriages fall apart in front of me because of laziness and abuse. The part that has seen people entirely change personalities. That part of me has no problem with divorce. 


When it really comes down to it-- this is how I see things. You are capable of loving anyone even if they've changed from the person you originally fell in love with. BUT.. for a marriage to work, it is a two person thing. AND it requires effort. Without those two factors- there's a good chance your marriage will fail. But the thing is- if you both want your marriage to succeed, it will most likely happen. I really don't think there is anything that will prevent that as long as both people are willing to do their best to make it work and in the end, they'll be happy.


Marriage is such an enormous and overwhelming thing that sometimes it's easier to just stop analyzing it for a while.


That's why in fairytales you meet someone, instantly fall in love, and live happily ever after.


But fairytales exist


With work


And they're called marriage. 

No comments:

Post a Comment