One of the movies I have in my collection is Chasing Liberty- - while it is not a favorite I still enjoy watching it ever so often although that may mainly be due to a beautiful man named Matthew Goode.
Whatever the reason, I like a concept that Ben (aka Goode) points out in the movie:
Ben: My mother wanted him to make the big gesture.
Anna: What’s the big gesture?
Ben: You know, “I’ll quit for you. I’ll stay home for you, darling.” But he didn’t. Because…Well, people don’t really do that, do they?
DO THEY???
While researching this topic (you didn't know I usually spend time researching my topics, did you?) I found a blog post that I found to be a fantastic conversation. Seriously, read it. It expresses my thoughts perfectly.
Read it. NOW. Then come back and continue reading.
---------------------------
---------------------
--------------
---------
------
----
---
--
-
The only part I would change a little bit is that the idea of a big gesture is not necessarily a one time thing. I'm not saying it should be a constant thing, but everyone deserved a big gesture every once in a while. The periods between these big gestures should still be supported with simple gestures.
So, what is a big gesture? In my mind, it's not necessarily someone giving up their entire life for you. I see it more as a special effort made by someone that shows how much they really care and pay attention to you who are.
If you really like someone- get creative and do something that will blow their mind.
Ex: Ride a tandem bike around a lake until, surprise! you discover a projector, screen, and couch set up [magically!] all ready to watch a movie.
Did that set up take a little bit of work and planning? Yes. Was it all worth it? Yes!
Don't sell yourself short with taking the easy way out all the time.
So... what sparked my desire to write a post on this topic?
One of my friends was sharing how since she missed the last two Harry Potter premiers she wants a guy to recreate the midnight showings at home for her- the movie starts at 12, dressing up, movie popcorn...
Is that unrealistic? Absolutely not.
Guaranteed, no one is going to know that is something she wants unless she says something but the concept is still valid.
It's not that the date is expensive or took forever to plan out... it's that someone cared enough to find out what kind of big gesture she would appreciate.
Now, like I said before, a big gesture is not necessary every minute of every day. It's all the little things in between that really count too. It can be as simple as opening the sun roof so the one you love can look at the stars. Difficult? Nah.. Just something that shows that you paid attention to what they care about.
This leads me to my last section of this post:
unrealistic love
Everyone at one point of time or another has dreamed up their own fairy tale.
We're trained to do so-- from Disney movies to chick flicks to most everything else in our world...
We want to have fairy tales.
I'm here to tell you that to a certain point, they exist.
We still live in reality but as seen above, big (and little) gestures can and should be made.
We have every right to dream in reality.
While they don't actually kiss in this clip below, this is what I always dreamed my first kiss would be.
Ya know... the pale sunset.. the quiet music in the background.. a lovely (at that time) outfit slightly swaying in the cool evening breeze..
And because I'm a huge dreamer, I added fireworks to that list.
Why?
So that when we kissed there would literally be fireworks.
Hahahahahahahahhahahaha I embarrass myself.
But truly... I believe in fairy tales. I believe in perfect moments- even if they're perfect in their own way.
They won't necessarily happen for a first kiss..
But they can happen.
Dream in reality.


No comments:
Post a Comment