About Me

My photo
I believe in dedicating my life to the things I truly love. This is my way of sharing that love with you.

Thursday, October 6, 2011

You Are My Sunshine

How many of us have heard this song? Hopefully everyone.. it's fairly common. It's usually sung to people we love whether that be significant others or children. I love this song.. I really do. I vaguely remember having a sun pillow as a kid that when you squeezed it the chorus would play. As I was singing this song in my head this weekend I decided to blog about it-- fairly unsure of where the post would go. Well, after looking up the lyrics to the other verses the song I was fairly concerned and found the direction for this post.

You Are My Sunshine
My only sunshine.
You make me happy
When skies are grey.
You'll never know, dear,
How much I love you.
Please don't take my sunshine away


Fairly normal, right? This person loves someone and they don't want to ever lose them. Awww.. tender! But then it goes to this-

The other nite, dear,
As I lay sleeping
I dreamed I held you in my arms.
When I awoke, dear,
I was mistaken
And I hung my head and cried.


Okay, so they've already lost the person.. whether literally through death or just a social/emotional break. It's heart wrenching but nothing too far out there. Next:

I'll always love you
And make you happy
If you will only say the same
But if you leave me
To love another
You'll regret it all some day;


Okay let's not sound like a TOTAL psycho-who-will-kill-you kind of person... sheesh! Now let's head to the depressing verse:

You told me once, dear
You really loved me
And no one else could come between
But now you've left me
And love another
You have shattered all my dreams;


I really don't so much know what to say about this song other than I think whomever wrote it needed to eat some Ben and Jerry's and move on. Apparently their form of Ben and Jerry's was a classic hit song to sing to children. 


I vote we just forget the rest of the verses and pretend this is still a pretty little love song. 


You are my sunshine... my only sunshine.. you make me happy when skies are gray... I won't kill you... or have an emotional break down... unless you take my sunshine away :)

2 comments:

  1. I've only ever heard the first two verses. And i am going to pretend that those are still the only two that I have heard! Haha

    ReplyDelete