Last weekend I went up to Salt Lake City to attend General Conference in the Conference Center. It's not like you have to go all the way up there to watch/hear it but sometimes it's nice to be in the same room as the speakers.
One of the talks Sunday morning was on the topic of aligning our will with God's. Robert D. Hales said, "Too often we pray for patience but we want it right now."
One of the biggest things we have to realize in our lives is that things work out a lot better if we align our will/desires with what God has planned for us.
This isn't because our lives change-- it's because our perspective changes.
You see, things work out a lot better if you aren't constantly fighting them.
I had a friend contact me Sunday night who was perplexed due to a situation in their life in which something they wanted- which is a good thing- is not going as planned/hoped for. They asked for my advice on what plan of action they should now follow.
I shared a personal experience in my life in which something I really really want was not going as planned/hoped for, similar to what this friend is going through.
I shared how this thing I wanted- which is a good thing- was denied to me.
It would have broken my heart if I didn't have a firm belief in a divine plan that has been created for me.
You see, even though in my mind I saw this desire as a good thing to have in my life, God didn't at that time.
BUT.... I trust that God has a plan for me. A plan that is so fantastically wonderful that I can't even dream up something that perfect. If I align my will with His, I will be happy and will some day receive the blessings of that wonderful plan. If we have such a small view of our lives, why not trust the person who can see the entire picture?
A big part of this whole trusting in God/aligning our plans with his has to do with timing. I wrote a little bit about this a while ago in a post titled Right Time... Right Place. In the situation I shared with my friend, even though the thing I wanted was a good thing, it was the wrong timing. It's not that it was the wrong thing for me.. it's that it was the wrong thing at the time.
But now it's the right time. Why? Because I had something (or many things) I needed to learn first and now that I've learned them I'll be okay.
It's a great source of peace knowing that during the troubling times of your life (and all the other times too) that God has a plan for you. He knows your potential and will put people and situations into your life designed specially for you. TRUST that he will do that. TRUST that when you feel like your world is crashing down around you that He will always be there making sure you'll work your way through it. TRUST that there is something beautiful and wonderful in your future that is greater than anything you could ever imagine.
I did. I do. It's made all the difference.
And ya know what? I am happier now than I have ever been in my entire life.

No comments:
Post a Comment