Inception:
Cobb: I can't stay with her anymore because she doesn't exist.
Mal: I'm the only thing you do believe in anymore.
Cobb: I wish. I wish more than anything. But I can't imagine you with all your complexity, all you perfection, all your imperfection. Look at you. You are just a shade of my real wife. You're the best I can do; but I'm sorry, you are just not good enough.
This quote was shared in a church meeting Sunday and I quite like it. There are so many branches of discussion I could write about based off of this quote and I've decided to choose the topic of living to our full potentials. The other day I had a conversation about some people knowing exactly what they want in life. It was a short conversation but I'd like to expound.
There are people in this world that know exactly what they want. Maybe not exactly, but they know the main points of what they want for their futures. Kudos to them. For those people there is always the fear that although they know what they want, they may give that up in the future. How tragic would it be for someone who has definitive plans for the future to simply walk away from those things and settle for something else?
Extremely tragic.
Yet, it happens all the time.
Why?
Because....
Because we lose faith in ourselves. Faith in others. Faith in the world. Faith in God. We fight and fight and fight for the things we want and eventually reach a point of exhaustion and give up. Sometimes we don't even fight before we walk away. Sometimes we reach the conclusion that what we want is not an option. That we must settle for only a ghost of what we are really looking for.
STOP it. If you are wanting great things, you will get them. It may take a lot of work. A lot of time. A lot of faith. BUT... you will get them. There are exceptions to every situation but if you want to be a multi-millionaire some day, DO it! If you want to marry that perfect someone that you've been dreaming about for years, FIND them! If you are adamant about living in Arizona for the rest of your life, SET that expectation. Do NOT settle for a shadow of your potential.
Remember: I can't imagine you with all your complexity, all you perfection, all your imperfection. Look at you. You are just a shade of my real wife. You're the best I can do; but I'm sorry, you are just not good enough.
Know that you ARE good enough to get what you want. Know that what you want is an option without settling for a ghost of your dreams. Don't reach the point where you simply give up. Always fight.

Ooh I like this. And I love that movie and that quote! I might have to write a blog post about this quote too but I have a few different ideas.
ReplyDelete