I realize this is a fantastically horrible picture but if you aren't able to decipher what it is I'll just tell you.
It is a line at Disneyland in which every single person in the big group in front of us is sitting isolated texting on their cell phones.
I just didn't want to turn the flash on and make it super obvious that I was taking creepy pictures of them. Plus my camera was still on underwater mode-- something I discovered was an option while on hall duty at EFY.
Truth is-- I appreciate having a cell phone and I appreciate that most everyone else has one too. They are extremely convenient but here's why I don't like them.
And I entirely include myself in this list of tacky annoying things people do because of cell phones.
1. They are used as props.
Ever walk around school and see someone you don't want to talk to? What do you do? Oh right.. pull out your cell phone and pretend you're intently busy texting.
Or how about this one... awkward elevator rides.. Everyone knows that you get no service in half the elevators at ASU but guess how many people are still "using" them in elevators anyways?
Or here's where I am most guilty: Uncomfortable social scenes. I honestly do not always enjoy socializing- especially in big groups. Its not so bad when you have a buddy with you but when its everyone 1-on-1 or you're in a group in which everyone belongs except yourself..... yeah that is when the cell phone comes out. Dances. Game nights. Massive Disneyland gatherings. Munch & Mingle/Linger Longer.. Those are situations I sometimes feel excessively uncomfortable in and my phone provides an excuse for me to not feel as if I am standing out awkwardly in a crowd.
2. They limit real conversations.
If you're with someone.. don't be texting. It's rude. It is one thing if its your best friend and you're just hanging out like you do every single other day but if you're just 1-on-1 with someone it is disrespectful to pull out your phone and prove to them that they're obviously not that important in your life.
Or on dates... big no and honestly, I've never had this be too much of an issue with guys I've gone out with and that is something I've taken notice of and appreciated. One of the best things I've ever been told in my life was this summer with my friend took me out to lunch. I was texting back someone I was interested in and he told me, "If you're texting him then you're paying for your own meal." It was a really good reality check and made me realize just how rude I had been.
Texting limits real conversations. I would say that it bothers me when someone only texts me but to be honest, I'm so accustomed to it that it doesn't bother me as much as it should. As much as I don't like only texting, I'm super guilty of this. Why don't I just call? Because I feel like I'm intruding on their busy schedule and don't want to take up too much unwanted time whereas a text can be more easily ignored or pushed off until they have time available to reply. Another part is that texting allows the sender more time to answer rather than blurting out the first thing that comes to mind. One of my absolute favorite things to do used to be to talk to my best friend on the phone all night but there is always the fear that with other people it won't be quite that simple and an extremely awkward phone conversation might follow.
3. Phones can control your life.
One of my session directors this summer had all the kids look at their phones and say, "I own you. You don't own me." I think that is something we need to be repeating constantly. Face it, we're addicted to electronics. We have to have them with us. I suppose we'll all have to accept that to a certain level but I feel like there are times when phones should remain off. For example: as stated before, dates. Church. While we sleep. During activities. Unless you are literally on call for your job or your wife might go into labor any minute... you don't need your phone with you every second! It is not necessary that someone be able to get ahold of you at any second of every day. No! No no no. Just turn it off and breathe! Seriously.. try this out. Go somewhere, do something and leave your phone off. It is slightly stressful but after you get past that initial separation it is one of my favorite things to do now. Do it!
I guess my purpose in writing this is to bring awareness to us all of our phone habits and encourage each of us to analyze those actions and take on a couple goals in this area because there is always room for improvement.

No comments:
Post a Comment