About Me

My photo
I believe in dedicating my life to the things I truly love. This is my way of sharing that love with you.

Monday, January 16, 2012

The Same Wavelength

A while back I was introduced to the phrase, "we're on the same wavelength."
It's one of those phrases that keeps repeating in my mind.

I love science. Yes, even occasionally physics. What I particularly enjoy though, are the connections that can be made to science while not being science per say.

Each person's life and personality creates a wave. A pulse. A story.
Now, obviously, we can't print out such a complicated and infinitely long strand of data, but what if we could? True, it's been compiled in small portions to be compared to another's "data" but can you even imagine what your life and personality would look like on a graph?

Until I started this post, I always viewed being on the same wavelength with someone as simply following the same points along a graph- ranging between the same crests and troughs with them. 
BUT if both people have their own wave/life/personality which is combined with another's wave/life/personality, the combination of the two waves changes from each single wave. 

Here's an illustration of a standing wave- a wave that while it fluxes up and down along the y-axis, it never travels along the x-axis. This standing wave is created from the formation of two separate waves/lives/personalities that are entirely opposite from each other. The blue wave is progressing "forward" along the x-axis while the red wave is progressing "backwards" just as fast in the opposite direction. These two lives are on such perfectly opposite tracks that they are constantly fighting to keep the other from either moving forward or backwards. 

Guaranteed, there will never be anyone who is the exact opposite wave from you or exactly the same but the closer you are to those ideal functions, the more true they will be. That's just how science works.

As for being on the same wavelength, the added results can be seen above in the picture introducing this post. Combining two similar waves will not only create a wave that will continue progressing forward, but it will double the amplitude. In physics, the amplitude of waves has always seemed minor and fairly irrelevant to me but I enjoyed them because it was a simple concept that I felt I could actually wrap my mind around. While the amplitude does not affect the progression of our lives (x-axis), it does affect the path that our lives are able to reach during this journey (y-axis). 

As long as two people are moving through life at the same x-axis velocity, they can work together well. As these paths are matched up, other aspects of their lives formed along the y-axis can be combined together to create an infinite world of opportunity.

Now while all this y-axis stuff may not seem entirely necessary or important, it is still so much of an added bonus. Combining two different amplitudes will open up your life to a new window of opportunity and learning. You may find that you love to dance or play volleyball or travel or ... . . . . . . .

It's also really nice when you find someone with a similar amplitude as your own.  Of course there will always still be things to learn and experience but you will have someone to enjoy the things you already love together. It's a lot easier to convince someone to spend a night dancing or to plan a trip when they've already developed that love. Having a similar amplitude can also encourage you to take those loves in your life to the next level and explore them even further. Jumping into something new can also be a lot less stressful when someone reassuringly similar to you is there to experience it with you.

There's more to having the same amplitude than just enjoying the same activities. It includes having the same thoughts or ideas. How nice is it when your random thoughts and questions are similar to someone else's? How great is it when a letter from a friend shares your same thoughts and truly understands your life? How amazing is it when someone writes an anonymous note and you know exactly who it is and all the little meanings behind it? How fantastic is it when you find the person you can talk to for hours on end and never get tired of listening to their stories and thoughts along with never feeling like you yourself are boring them to death? 

How fan-freakin-tastic are those things?

Isn't that the ultimate goal? To find people in your life who follow the same wave patterns as you do?
Whether they be best friends or eternal partners.
I know those people in my life are irreplaceable and are the reason I can wake up each morning and smile.

To end-- I have a ridiculously intense love with this song and the personal meanings in my own life that it represents. 
My favorite part reads:
And rain falls angry on the tin roof
As we lie awake in my bed
And you're my survival, you're my living proof
My love is alive-- not dead.

2 comments:

  1. I couldn't finish reading this because it was bringing back awful memories from Physics 101, bahaha.

    ReplyDelete
  2. In contrast to Stephannie, I liked the physics aspect of this post.

    ReplyDelete